Week 2: RICE
"Rice" to see you again!
Let's "starch" off with some general rice facts!
1) Rice is responsible for 20% of the World's ingested nutrients!
(Closely followed by Wheat at 19%)
2) The scientific genus for rice is Oryza.
Oryza sativa is the most common species and is subdivided into:
long-grains indica, and short-grains japonica
3) Scientists believe rice has been cultivated for at least 8,000 years in Asia!
4) There are over 40,000 varieties of rice, located all around the world!
5) Whole Grain Rice (brown rice) has an extra layer, which makes it more nutrient-rich!
6) There are many distinguishing categories for rice:
- process (whole grain, polished/white)
- grain length (short, medium, long)
- starch content (glutinous/sticky, japonica, non-glutinous)
Learn more in the link below!